Since its debut five years ago, Ford’s 3-cylinder 1.0-Liter EcoBoost engine has been winning accolades left and right. In fact, the diminutive gasoline-sipping three-banger has now won a total of 13 major awards, including:
- 7 International Engine of the Year awards in three years (for 2012, 2013, and 2014), including the Best New Engine prize in 2012
- 2013 International Paul Pietsch Award for technological innovation (Germany)
- Dewar Trophy from Royal Automobile Club in Great Britain
- Breakthrough Award from Popular Mechanics in the United States
- Ward’s 10 Best Engines trophy, the first automaker to have claimed the award for a three-cylinder engine
How many more trophies will The Blue Oval’s little gem rack up in the coming years is anyone’s guess, but if it’s any indication of the future, it’s that three-bangers are here — and they’re here to stay, as we expect nearly all automakers to introduce small three-cylinder powerplants before the end of the decade.