Volkswagen dealers in the United States delivered 32,163 vehicles in May 2014, representing a 15 percent decline on a year-over-year basis.
“Though we saw an increase in our consumer traffic and closing rates over the last two weekends, May ended as expected with the impact of certain models in run-out,” said Mark McNabb, chief operating officer, Volkswagen of America. “With the launch of the much-anticipated Golf and Golf GTI, as well as the introduction of even more fuel efficient diesel engines in the Volkswagen line-up, we are confident we will broaden the appeal of our product portfolio as we head into summer.”
May 2014 sales highlights:
- All of the brand’s car lines posted year-over-year sales drops with the exception of the Jetta SportWagen, Tiguan, and
Chrysler Town & CountryRoutan — which posted increases in year-over-year sales volume.
- The Chattanooga-built Passat recorded 8,955 deliveries for the month. Of those, the Passat TDI, the only clean diesel in the midsize sedan segment, delivered 3,172 units, or 35.4 percent of total Passat sales — marking the best year-to-date sales performance for the TDI model. To note, the model is exclusive to the North America and Chinese markets.
- Total Jetta deliveries for May, including SportWagen, accounted for 13,915 units — down 12 percent year-over-year.
- Tiguan recorded 2,649 deliveries — up half a percentage point
- Touareg recorded 552 deliveries — down 5.8 percent
The Motrolix Take
VW has posted double-digit decreases in sales for the last few months in the U.S. The discouraging sales numbers are mostly the result of lack of new car inventory due to run-out models like the Golf and Golf GTI. Here’s to hoping that the new line of compact hatches, which are now built in Mexico and should be more price-competitive compared to the last-gen models built in Europe, is enough to turn things around… but we won’t see the results of that until August, which is when the mass-market (non-GTI) Golf will begin to arrive to dealer showrooms across the country.
May 2014 - USA - Volkswagen
|MODEL||YOY MONTHLY CHANGE||MAY 2014||MAY 2013||YOY YTD CHANGE||YTD 2014||YTD 2013|
|TOTAL GOLF/GTI/GOLF R||-41.25||1,793||3,052||-36.96||8,941||14,182|