A near production-ready, second-generation Audi Q7 prototype has been spotted undergoing testing in Germany ahead of its possible debut date sometime later this year or early next year.
Motoring says the new Q7 will ride on Volkswagen’s new PL73 passenger vehicle architecture, which will also serve as the basis of the upcoming Lamborghini Urus SUV and Bentley Falcon, along with the next-generation Volkswagen Touraeg. The architecture, which is a variant of the VW Group’s MLB matrix, is made from 60 percent steel, with the remaining 40 percent being a mix of aluminium and carbon fiber, helping the new SUV shed 350 kg (771 lbs) of weight over the outgoing model.
A new lineup of diesel and gasoline engines are also in line for the Q7. The base engine will be a 2.0-liter TDI four-cylinder turbo diesel producing 201 horsepower and 294 pound-feet of torque. From there, a 301 horsepower gasoline V6, a 272 horsepower turbo diesel V6, and a 402 horsepower V8 diesel are in store. The lineup will likely be rounded out by a range-topping SQ7 powered by Audi’s twin turbocharged 4.0-liter V8.
The next-gen Q7 will also receive one of Audi’s advanced ‘e-boost’ engines with electrically-supplemented turbochargers, which will arrive before the end of 2016, according to Motoring.
Expect Audi’s next-gen midsize crossover to debut as early as the Paris Motor Show in October, but due to the vehicle’s popularity in North America, it could also be slated for an introduction at the Detroit Motor Show in January.