Ford Motor Company has announced that, at the request of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, it is expanding its recall of vehicles with defective airbag inflators for the driver-side airbag. The airbag inflators were supplied by Takata.
This expanded Takata recall includes approximately 502,489 vehicles, an addition of approximately 447,310 vehicles. The expansion of the recall brings the total number of Ford vehicles being recalled for Takata airbag inflators to approximately 538,977.
Affected vehicles: the expanded recall includes the following vehicles:
- 2005-2008 Ford Mustang built August 18, 2004 to June 25, 2007 at Flat Rock Assembly Plant
- 2005-2006 Ford GT built February 11, 2005 to January 30, 2006 at Wixom Assembly Plant
As of December 18, 2014, Ford is aware that vehicles affected by the recall are distributed as such:
- Approximately 462,911 in the United States and federalized territories
- Approximately 27,516 in Canada
- Approximately 7,578 in Mexico
- Approximately 4,484 outside of North America
The solution: dealers will replace the airbag inflator at no cost to the customer.
Known accidents: Ford is aware of one accident with an injury that may be related to the faulty airbag inflators.