Tesla Motors has told the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that a quality review has found defective or improperly installed wall receptacles that 240-volt charging adapters were plugged into could cause issues such as a melted adapters or a fire. The number of these remains minute but the company’s review leads to the building or wiring as the obvious cause of failed adapter.
Starting in late 2012, Tesla calmed nerves stating 2.7 percent of their universal mobile connector adapters have been returned. They stated this was not a safety issue, and that they became aware of many experiences that resulted in this type of problem.
Tesla began a review, including the well-known fire in Irvine, Calif. They will notify owners, and give an “over-the-air” software update. It allows the Model S on board charging system to detect any unsuspected changes in the input charge or more advanced resistance connections to the vehicle but if detected, it will automatically lessen the charge by 25 percent. Some Tesla owners have already received this.
At the North American International Auto Show in Detroit, Michigan, Jerome Guillen, Tesla’s vice president of worldwide sales and services defended the product.
“We are offering a very competitive financial product,” Guillen said as he took questions from the media.