Ford Motor Company announced on Thursday that former Chief Operating Officer Mark Fields will take over as Chief Executive Officer when Alan Mulally retires this summer. Fields, 53, has been with Ford for more than 25 years and previously led the automaker’s operations in America and in Europe. The Detroit Free Press compiled a list of interesting facts about the Brooklyn, NY native, some of which we’ve included below, along with a few of our own:
- Grew up in Paramus, New Jersey and attended Paramus High School.
- Earned a Bachelor’s degree in Economics from Rutgers University and a Masters in Business Administration from Harvard.
- Known for his young and fit looks, and as well for having a mullet in his younger years.
- Has had a lengthy tenure with Ford after being recruited in 1989; has worked for the automaker’s Mazda division in Japan, ran operations in Europe and had a stint in South America.
- Worked briefly at IBM before starting with Ford.
- Started as a market research analyst with Ford.
- Known for being competitive, a trait which shows most when he’s cheering for his favorite football team, the New York Giants.
- Is community-minded, serving as chairman of the United Way campaign.
- Resides in Dearborn, Michigan near Ford HQ, which he considers his home, but commutes home on weekends to see his family at their second home in Florida.